Our Projects: MBMP Rezoning Alternative
Participatory and coordinated fishing industry solution to the rezoning of the Moreton Bay Marine Park
Project Managers / Authors:
Kellie Williams; Darryl McPhee; Tor Hundloe; Colin Buxton; Ian Knuckey; Sam Stone
Timeframe: June 2007 – February 2009
- To collect representative data to characterise fishing activity and support industries operating within Moreton Bay (including social and economic values for commercial, recreational and indigenous/traditional fisheries).
- To collect data that adequately represents biodiversity abundance and spatial structure of habitats, ecosystems and associated species assemblages within Moreton Bay.
- To determine the impact of fishing and boating activity on the environment via a risk-based approach.
- To develop alternative options for the Marine Parks (Moreton Bay) Zoning Plan 1997 that meet the conservation requirements of the Queensland Marine Parks Act 2004 and the ecological sustainability objectives of the Queensland Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), whilst minimising impact on fishing and boating industries (including commercial, recreational and indigenous fisheries, boating and support industries).
Project Reports: Phase 1 and 2 reports
• Fisheries Research and Development Corporation (FRDC)