Our Projects: BRD Project
Driving innovation in environmental performance in the Moreton Bay seafood industry
Project Managers / Authors:
Kellie Williams; Sam Stone; Dr. Darryl McPhee
Timeframe: April 2007 – September 2008
- Achieve bycatch reduction in the net and trawl fisheries through development and implementation of innovative bycatch reduction devices (BRDs) to suit individual operations;
- Improve water quality by implementing a system to remove urban debris dumped in Moreton Bay waters;
- Reduce the overall ecological footprint of commercial fishing on the Moreton Bay Marine Park and adjacent Ramsar wetlands.
- Increase the transfer of knowledge between commercial fishermen and government and community groups;
- Improve awareness of the triple-bottom line benefits of EMS amongst both the seafood industry and broader community in the region;
- Promote adoption and awareness of local industry culture that seeks to continually improve its environmental performance.
• Dept. Agriculture Fisheries and Forestry